[Dixielandjazz] What is it about the key of F

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:51:49 +0000

Listmates, especially you keyboard players,

What is it about the key of F? I find it a very comfortable key also.

I know the saloon piano players like Ringwald are probably comfortable in
any key. I know that when Ringwald and bassist Dick Maloof were at San Juan
High School in California it was almost a daily exercise for the two of them
to go into a practice booth in the music department and do their "ritual"
which consisted of taking a song (any song) and playing it in all twelve
keys! Bob probably doesn't care what key he plays.

But personally, I find that single Bb black key acts as sort of an anchor.
You always know where you are on the keyboard when you know where that Bb
is. It's the 1 note of the sub-dominant and the 7th note of the dominant
which resolves you right back to the tonic. But then I'm a washboard player
and I need all the help I can get!  :)

Also, F is the easiest key to sing the most popular song in our culture . .
. "Happy Birthday to You."

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com