[Dixielandjazz] Re: Organs in Jazz - Was Fats Waller first?

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:40:42 +1100

Dear John,
If I wuzz youse, I would NEVER own up to being involved in that disastrous
(Decca?)"Fats At The Organ" LP .
I have it on ASV LP AJA 5007. Produced by the respected Mr Kevin Daly. Who
should have known better.
I've played it only once or twice.
(Just tried it again, wonderful organ, sounds like the Victor stuff, but the
Waller swing is missing.
(Sorry but I have to take it off - again.)
WHY would ANYONE take those wonderful piano roll pieces (available on Biograph
CDs) and put them though a system to convert them to organ solos, which Fats
never recorded?
The sleeve notes tell us how they did it on Mr Donald Curtis' Compton theatre
organ.
But not why?
The rolls are stand-alone performances.
It's like putting Charlie Christian through a synthesiser.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I hope you got your priceless 'rolls' back!