[Dixielandjazz] Re:Tom Lord disco (was Want some reference works for jazz?)

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 08:46:22 +1100

>Now I'm going to check for Bob Romans and Bill Gunter. :-)
Dear Steve,
I found a 'Bill Gunte'r but no 'Bob Romans'!
I'm in it! Although the entries are not up-to-date.
The work is a commendable effort, but certainly does not live up to the
extravagant claims.
But no reference work of that size could be.
Mr Lord has taken all available discographies, world-wide, put them together and
come up with a massive collection, full of dodgy cross-references, duplication
and omissions.
Now he has to sit back, wait for the corrections and reissue it.
The new Brian Rust disco (covering 1897-1942) also disappoints, and contains
many errors and omissions from the previous volumes which should not be there in
2002.
I suppose I can say that, as I have been a keen discographer for over 50 years.
And still learning!
This is not really a criticism, as it would be impossible to correlate all of
the discographal information out there, without a massive team of knowledgable
jazz record collectors.
The jazz world would be so much poorer without the discographer, of which there
are quite a few on the DJML.
If you are into wanting to know who played on what, invest in Rust AND Lord.
But be prepared for errors and omissions.
Kind regards,
Bill.