[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #351 - 20 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:34:46 EST

--part1_185.12d07cbd.2b1d1de6_boundary

In a message dated 12/2/2002 2:59:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> I work as a computer programmer.  Almost without exception, every
> >programmer I met that I considered of high quality and superior problem
> >solving skills was also a musician.  There are some folks who are
> >naturals at programming.  They take to it like recovering heroin addicts
> >to a poppy seed muffin.  Everyone I've met who is like this is also a
> >musician.
>
> There are several programmers on DJML. A few years ago, a friend told me
> that Intel looks to hire programmers with a musical background because they
> are creative problem solvers. One of my best friends is a programmer at
> Intel, so I asked him if there were a lot of musicians working with him,
> and
> he said yes. This same person told me that nowadays, a suggested college
> degree for musicians (who want both a music degree and a solid career)
> would
> be to double-major in both music and programming. Hmmm....
> Mr. Edgerton or Mr. Williams: Any comments on this???

Dan Spink replies:

The possibility of a true cross aptitude is very high. In book, The Uses and
Abuses of Psychology, the author discusses aptitude testing as some of the
more accurate, usable and reliable psychology tests going. He then mentions
the very high correlation between glass workers and musicians. At one glass
making factory it turned out that almost 80% of the employees were serious
musicians; so many, in fact, that after the study, the company decided to
start a company orchestra. Hence, the possibility that programmers and
musicians have a high overlap of aptitude is not really surprising. You may
wish to start your own Dixieland band at the programming school if it's true.

Keep those notes coming,

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_185.12d07cbd.2b1d1de6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 12/2/2002 2:59:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I work as a computer programmer.&nbsp; Almost without exception, every<BR>
&gt;programmer I met that I considered of high quality and superior problem<BR>
&gt;solving skills was also a musician.&nbsp; There are some folks who are<BR>
&gt;naturals at programming.&nbsp; They take to it like recovering heroin addicts<BR>
&gt;to a poppy seed muffin.&nbsp; Everyone I've met who is like this is also a<BR>
&gt;musician.<BR>
<BR>
There are several programmers on DJML. A few years ago, a friend told me<BR>
that Intel looks to hire programmers with a musical background because they<BR>
are creative problem solvers. One of my best friends is a programmer at<BR>
Intel, so I asked him if there were a lot of musicians working with him, and<BR>
he said yes. This same person told me that nowadays, a suggested college<BR>
degree for musicians (who want both a music degree and a solid career) would<BR>
be to double-major in both music and programming. Hmmm....<BR>
Mr. Edgerton or Mr. Williams: Any comments on this???<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
The possibility of a true cross aptitude is very high. In book, <I>The Uses and Abuses of Psychology, </I>the author discusses aptitude testing as some of the more accurate, usable and reliable psychology tests going. He then mentions the very high correlation between glass workers and musicians. At one glass making factory it turned out that almost 80% of the employees were serious musicians; so many, in fact, that after the study, the company decided to start a company orchestra. Hence, the possibility that programmers and musicians have a high overlap of aptitude is not really surprising. You may wish to start your own Dixieland band at the programming school if it's true.<BR>
<BR>
Keep those notes coming,<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink</FONT></HTML>

--part1_185.12d07cbd.2b1d1de6_boundary--