[Dixielandjazz] Re: generosity of [TPIN] - musicians as programmers

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:45:41 -0600

Thanks, Bob. Good time of year to post a story like that.

Your generous-but-anonymous donor mentioned:

>I work as a computer programmer.  Almost without exception, every
>programmer I met that I considered of high quality and superior problem
>solving skills was also a musician.  There are some folks who are
>naturals at programming.  They take to it like recovering heroin addicts
>to a poppy seed muffin.  Everyone I've met who is like this is also a
>musician.

There are several programmers on DJML. A few years ago, a friend told me
that Intel looks to hire programmers with a musical background because they
are creative problem solvers. One of my best friends is a programmer at
Intel, so I asked him if there were a lot of musicians working with him, and
he said yes. This same person told me that nowadays, a suggested college
degree for musicians (who want both a music degree and a solid career) would
be to double-major in both music and programming. Hmmm....
Mr. Edgerton or Mr. Williams: Any comments on this???