[Dixielandjazz] The China Syndrome

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:42:02 -0500

List mates:

One of the reasons I printed that caveat comes from experiences with my day gig
back in the 1980s. I was involved with The Motor & Equipment Manufacturers
Association and I formally invited the Chinese to visit our annual convention in
Las Vegas. (All auto manufacturers and almost all auto parts manufacturers in
the USA were members of MEMA.)

We had 25000 attendees and the Chinese agreed to come. It was a first in the
automotive industry. It helped set up lots of deals between US manufacturers and
Chinese manufacturers, even assisted the US automobile Manufacturers with joint
ventures in China.

Now the Chinese were wonderful people and we assisted them greatly because at
that time, companies like the First Automotive Works in Changchun (Manchuria)
were virtually building 1950 style Russian vehicles by hand. Even the engines.
Like 25000 workers to make 1000 vehicles a year etc.

However, the Government was another matter. Red tape? They made our bureaucrats
look like efficiency experts. Biggest problem was taking profits out of China.
Obviously, for the Chinese to buy US goods, they need US Dollars. Yet their
supply was severely limited. So trying to get any kind of money out of the
country was a trip. Pigskins? yeah, they had lots of those. Barter solved many a
problem providing you could find goods to take out, that would sell in the US.
They badly needed to sell in the US in order to obtain Dollars that would pay
for the products and technology we were selling them.

Probably different to some degree now, but I would urge any band going to China,
or Russia and some other countries to fully protect yourselves. It was a very
tough place to do business.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone