[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [TPIN] Fw: Lung Capacity

LPBAssoc@aol.com LPBAssoc@aol.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:12:42 EST

I can't recall where I heard it, but it was said that Tommy Dorsey, when
queried regarding his outstanding prowess on the 'bone, responded he owed it
to" breath control".  Listening to his passages supports his view.
Some of us T-bonists are not as fortunate.  For me, the ravages of smoking in
my younger years have led me to 75% normal lung capacity.  But we adjust.
Instead of attempting "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", I stick to playing
"attack" trombone on trad jazz standards.  It's not a case of "form begets
function", but "function begets form".  C'est arte.
Regards,
Pat Briody
Catoonah Street Jazz & Blues Society
Ridgefield, CT USA