[Dixielandjazz] Re: Billy Banks Rhythmakers

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:10:13 +1100

Dear John,
Re your question.
Zutty is on the following early sessions:
(I have ignored things after 1936 - Mezzrow, Bechet, Hampton, etc.)
Louis Armstrong Hot 5, etc 1928-29. We all know these.
Victoria Spivey (with Louis) 10 July 1929
Jelly Roll Morton 17 Dec 1929 and
Jelly Roll Morton 5 March 1930 (not Cozy Cole as usually listed. Ask Mike
Meddings/Trevor Richards.)
Charles LaVere 11 March 1935
Zutty and His Band 27 March 1935
Charles LaVere 5 April 1935
Banjo Ikey Robinson and His Windy City Five 2 July 1935
Not much to go on as a direct comparison to the Rhythmakers record date (18
April 1932), except perhaps the Zutty Band sides, which include 2 of the
Rhythmakers tunes, "Bugle Call Rag/Anything For You".
The LaVere , Zutty Band and Robinson sides are on a recent Gannet CD CJR 1001.
A great collection of rare material, nicely put together by Chris Hillman.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: As a wanna-be drummer, I can still 'hear' Zutty on the first Rhythmakers
session , notwithstanding your excellent and compelling summary.
Off to our Sunday arvo gig now, with Zutty in my head.
What a swinger!