[Dixielandjazz] Billy Banks Rhythmakers

John Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 00:12:30 -0000

Anton said
> As to the drummer on the 18 April sides, he sounds different to the
drummer
> on the May to October sessions. If it's Zutty Singleton on the latter
> sessions then it's probably not Zutty on the former.

Jim had replied off list (and I hope he does not mind me quoting)
"I still think it sounds more like Zutty, but I take your point about
Gene being greatly influenced by Zutty (especially at that time). I too
will listen to the records again with your knowledgeable comments in
mind".

I  wonder if any other DJMLers can throw any further light on the subject.
Its little mysteries like these that make this music so fascinating.

Has anyone got any recordings of Zutty soloing in the early 30s other than
the Rhythmakers sides?
cheers

Keep swinging

John Petters