[Dixielandjazz] RE: Lionel Hampton

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:22:56 +0000

Hi David and all,

You wrote:

>When I was in High School in the early '80s I was fortunate enough to see
>Mr. Hampton perform at least once a year because he was always the guest
>host at the UofI, Moscow Jazz Festival. The school later changed the name
>of
>the festival to the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. A very gracious man and
>great promoter of jazz music to the younger generations.

Thanks for the nice note on Hampton and his activities promoting jazz.

As an aside, I noticed you used the words "jazz music" -- is this a
redundancy?  Also to be noted, back in the first decades of the 20th century
the term 'jazz music' would be considered an oxymoron (just as the term 'rap
music' is today).

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com