[Dixielandjazz] Bob Helm in _Common Soldiers_

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:04:10 -0500

Folks--
     Here's a couple paragraphs on Bob Helm from _Common Soldiers_ by
Janet Richards:

p. 304-5: "By 1953 we had become intimate with Bob and Kay Helm, and
a little later so did Weldon [Kees] and Ann.
     "Bob and Turk were both very great musicians, and I sometimes
think that a talent so great makes the life of the artist endowed
with it a little like that of those worker ants, whose whole lives
are spent carrying for long distances pieces of leaves of gigantic
size, under which they stagger crazily yet ever persist till they
reach the nest, and then they hasten out for more.  At any rate, I
know for sure that very gifted musicians are simply not like ordinary
folk with your plain ordinary ear.  Musicians hear everything.  In a
group playing together they hear everybody, all the time, while
performing themselves.  I will never think otherwise but that this is
an incredible feat, and musicians do it day after day as the normal
course of events.
     "Nor are musicians less remarkable in that part of their lives
not involving music.  They are eccentric, crotchetty, temperamental,
high-strung.  They get high on music and cannot come down.  They
don't want to come down.  When Bob got home from working at night Kay
said it took him between three and six hours to unwind enough to go
to sleep.  But he was an extreme case.
     "Bob never ceased fighting against the one essential fact of
practicing your art as a musician, namely that you must practice it
not alone but with others, and if you feel you have failed to achieve
what you had been ready to achieve on any particular night of
playing, because the others have not been ready to go with you, you
are as shaken as a painter is when his painting has failed.  But
painters normally have only themselves to blame and have a better
balance of success and failure than do very demanding musicians, like
Bob, who must partly depend on others.  Six times out of ten he would
come home with shattered nerves and a burden of hellish anger.  Kay
would bear the brunt, but she did not do so meekly, having a quick,
restless Irish temper of her own."

p. 307: Bob Helm and Weldon wrote songs together: Bob the music and
Weldon the lyrics.  They decided to do a production called 'The
Poets' Follies', including the songs performed by a band led by Bob
Helm."  "The band was marvelous, crashingly loud, following the
tradition begun by Lu Watters.  They played, among other things,
Helm-Kees songs--'Newton the Neuro from New Rochelle,' 'She's Just
Perfect for Me,' 'Culture Vulture Lucy from Telegraph Hill,' and
'Mary Alice Queen of the Drums.'  Bob, who is a good if unwilling
singer, did not sing because the Keesian comments were hardly
singable.  Certainly not sure-fire sensations as Bob's rendition of
'Peoria,' which he was called upon to do almost every blessed night
in the Murphy band.
     "Bob was a devastating cartoonist, if primitive.  After a really
frustrating night, he would begin cartooning about three a.m. and
continue past dawn.  His cartoons were always funny; but they were so
savage even Weldon was awed by them.  He had easily two dozen
cartoons of himself singing 'Peoria.'"

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "I am sitting in the smallest room in the house.  I have your   **