[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bob Helm's clarinet

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:50:36 -0500

>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:30:30 -0500
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Bob Helm's clarinet
>From: Charlie Hooks <charliehooks@earthlink.net>
>To: Dan Augustine <ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu>
>
>on 8/26/02 7:53 PM, Dan Augustine at ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
>
>>  Bob Helm is one of my favorite clarinet players, but gawd, he
>>  sure sounded out of tune sometimes.
>
>Well, shucks, Dan!  Let's kill him for intonation alone!
>
>Bob Helm was a mutha-f..ka clarinet player!  Always was.  Always will be.
>Maybe I respect him so much because I've at times played even worse out of
>tune than he ever did.
>
>Never admitted that before.
>
>Charlie
**----------------------------------------------------------------------**
Charlie and others--
     Well, you sure sounded in tune and with good ideas on that old
1978 LP called "Chet Bogans' Wolverine Jass Band" that i listened to
tonight.  I guess one of the salient characteristics of a
well-tempered life is a knack for not playing out of tune when the
recorders are going.
     For we ALL play out of tune, my friend, all of us, every one,
from time to time.  Some more than others, of course, but that (as
you know) ain't the point.  The point is what we have to say, in tune
or not, and Bob Helm has lots to say.  I wonder if anyone has a
complete list (and copies) of all his recordings....

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**     "He has occasional flashes of silence that make his            **