[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Aspen Snowmass Controversy

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley@earthlink.net
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:25:49 -0600

Mr. Barbone:
If you can pull yourself up from the floor and contain your mirth, you will
note that the article refers twice to Jazz Aspen.  If I see a news piece
that refers to the Ford Motor company I might in my naivete think they were
referencing a car company.  As to being "had by a knee jerk follow the
leader reaction" that's a bit of a stretch.  I originated the string and
suggested a response to the matter.  Further, anyone who knows me knows that
I am anything but "a follow the leader type."  My career history shows that
I started a theatrical enterprise that all "wiser heads" said would not
work.  When I retired it was grossing $6,000,000.00 per annum.  When I took
over the Goldenrod in 1975 I acquired a jazz festival that was limping along
and within three years it was a major cultural event in St. Louis and
garnering national recognition.  Following the leader,  not I.   Now that I
have had my turn at being pretentious and tooting my horn I will return the
pretension gavel back to its rightful owner.

As a relative newcomer to the list,  I do not know what the paranoid
nattering regarding Beebe, Hooks and yourself is all about but from the
tenor of your response to my post I can guess.
Regards,
G. William Oakley