[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Aspen Snowmass Controversy

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:32:41 -0600

Apparently you did not read the Denver article which set off the brouhaha.
Here is the article:

"All that Jazz Aspen

Jazz Aspen boss Jim Horowitz is jazzed about the upcoming Labor Day
festival.

"The advance sales are triple anything we've had in the past 12 years," says
Horowitz. In 2000, it was Lyle Lovett, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Cliff and the
Allman Brothers taking the stage. This year, it's Phil Lesh, Macy Gray, Keb'
Mo', Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and Nickel Creek.

"The Dylan show on Sunday (Sept. 1) is the biggest one of all," says
Horowitz. "The venue holds 10,000, and we expect to sell out early on the
day of the show."

It's a new venue this year - the base of Buttermilk Mountain, close to Aspen
and the action.

And the action will be at Colony, a new restaurant/nightclub in town where
Horowitz will hold court every night after the bands wrap. He's invited all
the musicians to sit in, so it should be a jam to remember."

When I see it in the Denver Post I assume there is a certain amount of truth
to the article.  According to you we are supposed to go to their web site
and verify.  If I had seen it on their site should I go to the Post to
verify.  I don't think so.  Thus, your suggestion of reacting to a hearsay
note is,  to put it mildly,  nonsense.  There is another word I would choose
but I won't.  It was a reaction to a legitimate newspaper source and your
pretentious chiding cannot change that.
Regards,
G. William Oakley