[Dixielandjazz] Re: Daybreak (was Another song for consideration)

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:11:05 +1000

Dear Bill,
The "Daybreak" you refer to is the Paul Whiteman version.
Recorded 14 April 1932.
Yes indeed, that was Tram you heard.
The singer is Red McKenzie.
Personally, neither tune nor lyrics do anything for me.
Forgettable. I have had it on record for years and never play it.
To satisfy myself I did so just now and if I had not known, would not have
picked it for a Hoagy song.
There is another song called "Daybreak" (Harold Adamson, lyr - Ferde Grofe, cm).
Frank Sinatra recorded it with Tommy Dorsey orch (a Sy Oliver arrangement with
strings) on 1 July 1942.
Typical smooth TD trombone and Frank of the time. Just as forgettable.
There are Jimmy Dorsey and Harry James versions of this later tune, which I do
not have.
I will admit however, that the Hoagy tune is catchier.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: It is interesting to note that Adamson (of "Time On My Hands" fame)
collaborated with Hoagy at one stage, but on what I have not bothered to check.