[Dixielandjazz] Nomenclature

Meg Graf meggraf@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:12:31 -0700

Hello, listmates,

I got into quite a discussion with a friend about the word "jazz."  She contends that the use of that
particular word is the reason OKOM doesn't have more fans.  "Call something 'country music' and
people know what they're getting, and what to expect -- or, at least, they think they do.  Call
something "jazz," and people don't want to appear ignorant or uninformed or that they don't understand
the genre, so they shy away from it."

My friend sings in a combo, and said that when she advertises "live jazz" attendance is down
substantially; when her advertisement is for "live music," the gigs are successful, and draw a
wide cross-section of the population.

I am interested in hearing my listmates' opinions and experiences:  how do you advertise your group?
Does the terminology make a big difference?

Best regards,
Meg and Big George