[Dixielandjazz] Analog not just "warm" scratches

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:07:51 -0500

> From: "James Kashishian" <kash@ran.es>
> I can even add some LP scratch noises for those that still say
> that analogue is better 'cause it's "warmer"!

Surely the list has discussed "analog vs. digital."
What was the conclusion, if any?
What say ye recording engineers (Paul and others)?

It's my understanding that digital recordings (CDs) are inferior to analog
(LPs) in that digital can't (yet) capture as broad a range of frequencies,
and even then, most CD players aren't (yet) capable of outputting all the
frequencies captured on the recording. When listening to an old LP on a
decent sound system and with a decent stylus, one is able to hear much more
than scratch noises; there's a more full-bodied sound. A friend proved this
to me by having me sit and listen to both analog and digital recordings. We
listened to a variety of musical styles, and there was no question that
analog had a richer overall quality with much more depth, especially
noticeable in the classical pieces with full orchestration. As digital
technology advances, I'm sure it will equal the quality of analog. Till
then, I don't mind the scratches. (A little higher and to the right...)

Any "feedback" from sound engineers?