[Dixielandjazz] Condon's lessons

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:55:41 EDT

--part1_1a5.6f8e7d4.2a9147ad_boundary

In a message dated 8/18/02 7:11:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> The old Jazz Ltd. house band varied from a pure Condon band style to New
> Orleans style in its playing. That is why the rare but occasional get
> together of the Jazz Ltd. Alumni Reunion band is so much fun. Cusack, Beebe
> at first then Dan Williams on trombone, Wayne Jones, Dan Shapira, and Dave
> Phelps and my own cornet contributions just plain fall onto place even if
> we
> only do this reunion thing once every four to five years. No charts, a tune
> called, a directive nod here and there, a suggestion to split choruses, a
> flare to signal one more out chorus, a "Chicago break" that just happens
> spontaneously, and a good tempo kick off and you have a Chicago jazz band
> that Condon would have enjoyed playing with.
> But Charlie is right -- you have to learn listen and have the good fortune
> to find yourself on the stand with others who have learned and listened. It
> can be done, but there's no shortcut to it.
> Don Ingle

   What's the matter with you two, Ingle and Hooks?  You are giving away
Eddie Condon's and Jazz Ltd. secrets away.  I put in years at the
conservatory for those secrets and here you two are spreading them around the
world via the internet. And for free.

   Never mind Vito and the boys, I'm going to point Ernie Carson in your
direction.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_1a5.6f8e7d4.2a9147ad_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/18/02 7:11:39 AM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">The old Jazz Ltd. house band varied from a pure Condon band style to New<BR>
Orleans style in its playing. That is why the rare but occasional get<BR>
together of the Jazz Ltd. Alumni Reunion band is so much fun. Cusack, Beebe<BR>
at first then Dan Williams on trombone, Wayne Jones, Dan Shapira, and Dave<BR>
Phelps and my own cornet contributions just plain fall onto place even if we<BR>
only do this reunion thing once every four to five years. No charts, a tune<BR>
called, a directive nod here and there, a suggestion to split choruses, a<BR>
flare to signal one more out chorus, a "Chicago break" that just happens<BR>
spontaneously, and a good tempo kick off and you have a Chicago jazz band<BR>
that Condon would have enjoyed playing with.<BR>
But Charlie is right -- you have to learn listen and have the good fortune<BR>
to find yourself on the stand with others who have learned and listened. It<BR>
can be done, but there's no shortcut to it.<BR>
Don Ingle<BR>
----- Original Message -----<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; What's the matter with you two, Ingle and Hooks?&nbsp; You are giving away Eddie Condon's and Jazz Ltd. secrets away.&nbsp; I put in years at the conservatory for those secrets and here you two are spreading them around the world via the internet. And for free.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Never mind Vito and the boys, I'm going to point Ernie Carson in your direction.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a5.6f8e7d4.2a9147ad_boundary--