[Dixielandjazz] Restoration of Art

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:30:01 -0400

Reminds me of Wild Bill Davison's comment? (maybe someone else, as I am
recalling it from memory banks) who responded to a question about a
banjo/guitar player ( Condon?) who was introduced to the audience on a live
recording as a accomplished plectorist. Question from a band member: "What's a
plectorist?" Answer from another band member: "That's just another name for 'a
. . hole'".

Somewhere, I believe I have that on a CD reissue where the sound was enhanced.

Re: "Barnacle Bill The Sailor", when doing this tune with Bill Barnes (cornet)
and The Southampton Dixie Racing and Clambake Society Jazz Band, circa 1950, we
had a whole set of bawdy lyrics worked out which, no doubt, originated in the
30s.

Cheers,
Steve (only the messenger) Barbone