[Dixielandjazz] LaRocca playing way

Tito Martino tmartino@terra.com.br
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:31:12 -0300

	<<<<From: "lUIS dANIEL Flores" <luda@arnet.com.ar>
	To: "Tito Martino" <tmartino@terra.com.br>,
		"DJML" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
	Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:29:36 -0300
	Subject: [Dixielandjazz] la rocca and trumpet play

	Tito,
	do you know about the way Nick LaRocca used to play his trumpet,
 	I mean holding the instrument with his right hand and the
	valves with the left and with different finger (Bix used to
	play in the same way) ? Luis Flores Argentina>>>>>

Hi Luis,
no, I never heard about Nick being lefty.  Maybe his son Jimmy can
clear up this point. His address:

jimmy756@msn.com

About Bix  "different fingering" , it's only, as I understand, the
 use of third valve alternate fingering instead of first WITH second;
I think Louis used it too as Bunk and many others from New Orleans;
seems give more agility to some fast blues fingerings.

It's a good thread to be explored and cleared up by the trumpet/cornet
experts on this amazing List.

Tito "Amazed off hours Cornetist" Martino
Sao Paulo Brazil