[Dixielandjazz] Re: ODJB

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:21:36 -0400

Hi Bill:

Like you say, we must agree to disagree. What you say makes sense, Mine is more of
a gut feel. Memory may be hazy at best, except that on momentous occasions,
memories are long lasting and much clearer. E.G. I remember exactly where I was and
what I was doing when I heard that John F. Kennedy was shot.

The first jazz recording? That would have been such a momentous occasion for Nick
LaRocca and Eddie Edwards. In my opinion, they would have remembered that
perfectly, in exact detail, until the day they died, just like I remember perfectly
the first time I recorded in 1952, on a demo LP, or the circumstances of the first
time I played with Coleman Hawkins. I have forgotten a lot of other stuff, since
1952, but not those momentous (to me) details.

Nothing to back it up but my ears which hear differently from yours and a hunch.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone