[Dixielandjazz] Strange gigs

Ron L'Herault lherault@bu.edu
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:57:28 -0400

I can't match the zoo gig but I had two unusual gigs, which, in their own
way were quite pleasant.  One was on an excursion train,  We played in a
little open area of a 1930s smoker, a boat tailed rail road car.  It had the
chrome pedestal ashtrays, etched glass and was super.  It felt like being in
one of those 30s era musicals.

The other gig took place mainly on a school bus.
We played while driving around the city of Woonsocket, RI, promoting French
New Years Eve.  The king and queen, all costumed and masked were selling
tickets, allowing the ticket holder to guess their identities and win a
prize.  We would hop off the bus and play while marching through different
businesses.  We entered Chans, a Chinese restaurant that features jazz.  It
was here that we got to play for Dizzy Gillespie(how do you spell that?),
who was eating his supper prior to starting his gig there.

Ron L