[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 02:30:37 EDT

--part1_28.2aede48f.2a875e8d_boundary

In a message dated 8/11/02 1:25:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
ringwald@calweb.com writes:

> Pat,
>
> Often in Television, there are 3 or 4 cameras taping simultaneously.  This
> is commonly called a "Three camera show."  Even though now-a-days, often 4
> cameras are used.
>
> It can be done in TV because the TV screen is small.  And, not as much time
> or care has to be taken with lighting, sound, props, makeup, etc.  Mistakes
> can not very easily be seen on screen.  They often get by as cheaply as
> possible.
>
> In film, first of all, the screen is so much larger that much more care has
> to be taken with all aspects, lighting, sound, props, location, etc.  Once
> in a while (rarely) a 2nd camera is used but it really complicates things.
> For instance, not only do you have to take care for the 2nd camera not to
> be
> seen, any reflections or shadows also have to be watched for.
>
> The recording quality of the music could not be captured on a sound stage
> while filming is going on.  The instruments could not be mik'd properly,
> etc.  As Jim said, the music is recorded first & then the sound track is
> played while the musicians are pantomiming while being filmed.  Many takes
> from many different camera angles are used.  ever time the camera is moved,
> the lighting has to be changed.  Everything on the set has to be checked
> for
> continuity.  If an actor was wearing a watch in the scene, tomorrow or the
> next day when they do a close up, or a shot from a different angle, he has
> to still be wearing that watch.
>
> Often a Prop man has 3 of everything available, just in case.  It is much
> cheaper in the long run to buy 3 watches for the show, even if only one
> gets
> used because, it would be a whole lot more expensive to stop production
> while someone goes out & tries to find a match for a watch that an actor
> has
> misplaced.
>
> I personally have seen filming go on for 2 days just to get 30 seconds of
> finished film.
>
> Bob
> mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
> Placerville, CA USA
> See: http://www.ringwald.com

--part1_28.2aede48f.2a875e8d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/11/02 1:25:28 AM Central Daylight Time, ringwald@calweb.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Pat,<BR>
<BR>
Often in Television, there are 3 or 4 cameras taping simultaneously.&nbsp; This<BR>
is commonly called a "Three camera show."&nbsp; Even though now-a-days, often 4<BR>
cameras are used.<BR>
<BR>
It can be done in TV because the TV screen is small.&nbsp; And, not as much time<BR>
or care has to be taken with lighting, sound, props, makeup, etc.&nbsp; Mistakes<BR>
can not very easily be seen on screen.&nbsp; They often get by as cheaply as<BR>
possible.<BR>
<BR>
In film, first of all, the screen is so much larger that much more care has<BR>
to be taken with all aspects, lighting, sound, props, location, etc.&nbsp; Once<BR>
in a while (rarely) a 2nd camera is used but it really complicates things.<BR>
For instance, not only do you have to take care for the 2nd camera not to be<BR>
seen, any reflections or shadows also have to be watched for.<BR>
<BR>
The recording quality of the music could not be captured on a sound stage<BR>
while filming is going on.&nbsp; The instruments could not be mik'd properly,<BR>
etc.&nbsp; As Jim said, the music is recorded first &amp; then the sound track is<BR>
played while the musicians are pantomiming while being filmed.&nbsp; Many takes<BR>
from many different camera angles are used.&nbsp; ever time the camera is moved,<BR>
the lighting has to be changed.&nbsp; Everything on the set has to be checked for<BR>
continuity.&nbsp; If an actor was wearing a watch in the scene, tomorrow or the<BR>
next day when they do a close up, or a shot from a different angle, he has<BR>
to still be wearing that watch.<BR>
<BR>
Often a Prop man has 3 of everything available, just in case.&nbsp; It is much<BR>
cheaper in the long run to buy 3 watches for the show, even if only one gets<BR>
used because, it would be a whole lot more expensive to stop production<BR>
while someone goes out &amp; tries to find a match for a watch that an actor has<BR>
misplaced.<BR>
<BR>
I personally have seen filming go on for 2 days just to get 30 seconds of<BR>
finished film.<BR>
<BR>
Bob<BR>
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com<BR>