[Dixielandjazz] Condon's lessons

Jim Denham james@jiming.demon.co.uk
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 01:29:44 +0100

In message <000001c23ff0$390205d0$f36ed5c8@crash>, Tito Martino=20
<tmartino@terra.com.br> writes

>Brother Barbone remarks:
>
>=A0
>
>"After opening his club in 1945, Condon's recordings became
>
>=A0lively extensions of the improvisational sessions that rocked
>
>the West Third Street bistro nightly. This was. While retaining
>
>a=A0 Dixieland flavor, he honored the past, but also added a fresh
>
>approach that extended the music's appeal." Hopefully we remember
>
>=A0that Condon's groups kept DIXIELAND alive and vital until the
>
>=A0day he died. Then, sadly, most of us ignored or forgot what he
>
>taught us.
>
>=A0
>
>Ha, yah! Steve! give me and my horn men a rhythm section like Condon?s
>and then
>
>=A0you?ll see (and listen) hot jazz, tempered with refinement, technical
>
>=A0excellence, and freedom for musical expression! ;-)=A0
>
>=A0
>
>Actually I agree 100% with you (as almost always) but remember
>
>=A0please that in many places in the World and in USA too,
>
>(and especially here in Brazil) it?s almost impossible to
>
>=A0find real Jazzmen (I mean OKOM) in sufficient number to set
>
>=A0up a whole Band; what I want to say is that what you hear usually
>
>is the result of what kind of musicians you put together.
>
>=A0We must abide with what we can get. Then, sadly, most of them
>
>=A0ignore or forget what ?he? (Condon) taught us.
>
>=A0
>
>This is the Facts. What we can do to change?
>
>Obviously you are setting the example playing to the young.
>
>=A0
>
>=A0
>
>respectfully,
>
>=A0
>
>Tito ?I Want Solid Swing? Martino
>
>=A0
>
>=A0
>
>=A0
>
>=A0

Martino's lament is not unique to Brazil: here in the UK it is notoriously
difficult to assemble a band to play 'Condon-style'. It's a tightrope you h=
ave
to tread: fall on one side and you're with bland "mainstream"; fall on the
other and you've got 'trad'. It isn't just the repertoire (though it's best=
avoid "Muskrat Ramble" and "The Saints"), it's the approach of the individu=
al
players. I don't think this can be taught to a generation who have not heard
Pee Wee, Cutty, Wild Bill, Ed Hall or Vic D in person. All we can do is
encourage them to listen to the records, and then do their best. Not copyin=
g,
but keeping to "the spirit".

Yours,

Jim Denham