[Dixielandjazz] The Approaches to Dixieland

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:59:31 -0500

Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet@earthlink.net> wrote:

> [quote from new Eddie Condon book]
> "...While retaining a  Dixieland flavor, he honored the past, but also
> added a fresh approach that extended the music's appeal."

> "...[snippet from Steve] What's wrong with a fresh approach? Answer?
> Nothing. In fact, it is the answer to keeping this vital music alive..."

"I think now that the best thing to do is to enjoy groups like the Lincoln
Center band for what they are without holding them up for comparison with
the past."
-- Jim DBB

"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about, but try to be yourself
while you're doing so."
-- BB King