[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert - finale

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:54:10 EDT

--part1_9d.2c10ae3f.2a82e2f2_boundary

brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com writes:

> So - what's wrong with current American musicians also recreating?
> I was at no time saying that what the Marsalis herd played on that conceert
> was as good as the originals - just that it wasn't bebop as Mr Petters
> claimed - and that it was enjoyable.

   I"ve been thinking about my comments on Marsalis and I'm going to
'rephrase' them.  I will somewhat reverse my position and chime in here with
Brian Harvey.
Part of the problem in this discussion is that the Brits are commenting on a
Marsalis concert that was performed and televised in England and so us/we
Yanks have not seen that particular concert.  I have seen several Marsalis
concerts in recent years on Public TV here and I have to admit that they were
very good, very professional and very enjoyable.  There is no doubt about
it,,,these are crack musicians who know what they are doing.  No, there was
no Johnny Hodges but then there was only one Hodges and never will be
another.  I think now that the best thing to do is to enjoy groups like the
Lincoln Center band for what they are without holding them up for comparison
with the past.

And so, John Petters, I lift one leg out of your camp and place it squarely
in Brian Harveys.

Jim Beebe

--part1_9d.2c10ae3f.2a82e2f2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/7/02 1:53:20 PM Central Daylight Time, brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">So - what's wrong with current American musicians also recreating?<BR>
I was at no time saying that what the Marsalis herd played on that conceert<BR>
was as good as the originals - just that it wasn't bebop as Mr Petters<BR>
claimed - and that it was enjoyable.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I"ve been thinking about my comments on Marsalis and I'm going to 'rephrase' them.&nbsp; I will somewhat reverse my position and chime in here with Brian Harvey.<BR>
Part of the problem in this discussion is that the Brits are commenting on a Marsalis concert that was performed and televised in England and so us/we Yanks have not seen that particular concert.&nbsp; I have seen several Marsalis concerts in recent years on Public TV here and I have to admit that they were very good, very professional and very enjoyable.&nbsp; There is no doubt about it,,,these are crack musicians who know what they are doing.&nbsp; No, there was no Johnny Hodges but then there was only one Hodges and never will be another.&nbsp; I think now that the best thing to do is to enjoy groups like the Lincoln Center band for what they are without holding them up for comparison with the past.<BR>
<BR>
And so, John Petters, I lift one leg out of your camp and place it squarely in Brian Harveys.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_9d.2c10ae3f.2a82e2f2_boundary--