[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert - continued

brian.harvey5 brian.harvey5" <brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:52:43 +0100

Many years ago I was involved in the organisation and promotion of many
British concert tours.
One was by a Woody Herman Herd containing British musicians. They recreated
the sounds of the great Herds and it sounded fine to me - very exciting or
maybe I have cloth ears. It would probably have sounded very much the same
even without the presence of Woody except for that unique toned clarinet and
his understanding and appreciation of the blues.
So - what's wrong with current American musicians also recreating?
I was at no time saying that what the Marsalis herd played on that conceert
was as good as the originals - just that it wasn't bebop as Mr Petters
claimed - and that it was enjoyable.