[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 01:52:04 EDT

--part1_10.22f8bdf6.2a820f84_boundary

In a message dated 8/6/02 12:53:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
jpettjazz@btinternet.com writes:

> With the exception of the
> leaders and the afore mentioned Arnett Cobb, none of the young soloists
> impressed at all. They had all come through the Berkely College of
> rent-a-Coltrane-million- notes -a -minute course and said nothing.
> Ellington
> on the other hand was a genius who always had something to say and no one
> can recreate that.
>
> John Petters

   Yes, John, the United States is full of young Berklee-Coltrane clones.
Not only Berklee but every college and university music-jazz program churns
these guys out.
There are some though that come along who are exceptional.  There is a
younger generation of guys like Ron Dewar in Chicago who have come out of
that kind of background.  Ron is no longer that young but he came out of the
University rather a Coltrane clone but he has his own twist and he is also
very much into classic traditional stuff.  He can play some of the most
interesting and swinging tenor that I"ve every heard and turn around and play
wonderful tradtional mode clarinet, and he sounds only like himself.  I saw
how seriously he would spend time with guys like Little Brother Montgomery to
learn their music.  You won't see Ron on the Trad fest circuit and he
basically gigs around Chicago but he is a marvelous player and I think the
type of jazz musician that is the harbringer of the future.  Eric Schneider
is another one.

So, there definately is hope out there.

JIm Beebe

--part1_10.22f8bdf6.2a820f84_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/6/02 12:53:45 PM Central Daylight Time, jpettjazz@btinternet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">With the exception of the<BR>
leaders and the afore mentioned Arnett Cobb, none of the young soloists<BR>
impressed at all. They had all come through the Berkely College of<BR>
rent-a-Coltrane-million- notes -a -minute course and said nothing. Ellington<BR>
on the other hand was a genius who always had something to say and no one<BR>
can recreate that.<BR>
<BR>
John Petters</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, John, the United States is full of young Berklee-Coltrane clones.&nbsp; Not only Berklee but every college and university music-jazz program churns these guys out.<BR>
There are some though that come along who are exceptional.&nbsp; There is a younger generation of guys like Ron Dewar in Chicago who have come out of that kind of background.&nbsp; Ron is no longer that young but he came out of the University rather a Coltrane clone but he has his own twist and he is also very much into classic traditional stuff.&nbsp; He can play some of the most interesting and swinging tenor that I"ve every heard and turn around and play wonderful tradtional mode clarinet, and he sounds only like himself.&nbsp; I saw how seriously he would spend time with guys like Little Brother Montgomery to learn their music.&nbsp; You won't see Ron on the Trad fest circuit and he basically gigs around Chicago but he is a marvelous player and I think the type of jazz musician that is the harbringer of the future.&nbsp; Eric Schneider is another one.<BR>
<BR>
So, there definately is hope out there.<BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_10.22f8bdf6.2a820f84_boundary--