[Dixielandjazz] Levinson's wayward message

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton@eds.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:00:54 -0400

Len Nielsen (who's post I'm using as a springboard) wrote:
> If you will check the date on Dan Levinson's letter you will find that
> it is a duplicate of a message sent over 1 week ago.
That is true. It's an old message that may have been "held for moderation."

> It arrived today again with several other duplicated messages. In other
> words Dan did not send it.
That is false. Dan sent it a week ago. He may have sent it twice, once with
an attachment and once without (I can't be sure because I deleted the
original posting last week) or it may have posted without its attachment and
then later released in its complete form.

>Neither the original nor the duplicate arrived at my computer as
>attachments. The computer world is playing tricks on you.
Both were messages in HTML format. The one today included an attached pdf
file.

Not everybody will see the attachment, of course. Some mail systems do not
allow MIME attachments and they are removed from the message. We wish it
were possible to enable behavior that on DJML, but at present that isn't
possible. That's the reason everybody is asked to post only plain text -- we
can't strip the html and mime gobbledygook from every message with the
system we have.

That gives me an opportunity to remind everybody that on the internet, it is
always a good idea to lurk for a week or two before you post to a new
community. It is also a good idea to respond to a newbie's mistakes with
gently corrective suggestions.

Dan isn't a frequent contributor here and may not have been aware of our
policy of posting in plain text only. But he certainly is now! Also... while
he may be a DJML posting newbie, he's definitely NOT a Dixieland newbie.
Welcome, Dan. Please share some of you thoughts with us. Then we'll buy your
CDs.