[Dixielandjazz] MARSALIS AT THE PROMS

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:31:00 +0100

Louis Lince said
> If you had seen the whole concert you would have been amazed at the sheer
> technique and feeling of the musicians. Herlin Riley has got to be the
> finest drummer of his generation. His feature was out of this world. His
> cymbal technique was a lesson to one and all. The way he built up his solo
> was an object lesson to anyone with pretensions to playing the drums.
>
> It was nice to see Joe Temperley again (one of our exports to the USA)
> playing baritone. Wes Anderson's alto was, as always, superb. I did not
see
> any bebop and beyond but just a superb concert. Why do we have to use
> labels?

Sorry Louis I can't agree with you on this one.I missed Riley's solo - but
watching and listening to him in the ensembles he failed to impress me. If
he is the best of his generation then woe to his generation. I watched the
show as far as the latin piece. My son David (aged 18) was also watching and
he came to the same conclusion, indendently, as me. They have lost the plot.
They sound like basically 'modern' inclined musicians 'playing' at the older
style without either affection or conviction. The closest was the alto
feature on Ellington's 'Isfahan'. Labels are useful to describe different
aspects of the music, so let's not pretend that the music at the Proms was
the same music as say Ellington played in 1940 or Goodman in 1938 or Louis
in 1928 - its different. I happen to think that what went before is superior
jazz. I saw plenty of evidence of technique of the musicians - all great
players but I missed the emotion of an Edmund Hall, a Johnny Hodges or a
Baby Dodds.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com