[Dixielandjazz] Celebrating Charlie Hooks

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:45:36 EDT

--part1_48.f778071.2a8005b0_boundary

ekercher@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Good news and good advice, Steve. I believe that the thread about
> entertainment being essential to large acceptance and appreciation by young
> and old was brought up by C. Hooks. He got some negative answers to this
> message, largely along the lines that humorous activity--physical, dress,
> or
> whatever had nothing to do with the level of musicianship so had no place
> in
> the "Grand plan to revive OKOM."
>     I had the pleasure of working with Charlie in Michigan before he
> decided
> to leave his teaching as a college professor for a (career?) as a jazz
> clarinet player and singer. I lost track of Charlie for many years and have
> no real knowledge of his level of success. I do know that every gig that I
> played with him was blessed by a natural, infectious exubrience that gassed
> up every gig.
>      My dad used to describe one of his favorite players--Barney Bigard as
> looking and moving like a "French Banker." I know that I am much more like
> Barney in that regard--no comparison musically--and I love it when I am
> working with players like Charlie that light a fire with not only their
> playing but with that kind of ability to entertain.
>     Keep up the good work, Steve.  OKOM needs more people like the
> personnel
> in your band and C. Hooks. Chuck Kercher

   I'll say amen to Kerchers comments on Charlie Hooks.  Charlie and I
barnstormed around the country under the most trying conditions with the
Celebration Road Show and Charles was always up, ready to play his butt off
and enjoying doing it, whether it was a school show in the morning and church
concert at night or a night club and a church service on sunday morning,
Charlie definately helped make it enjoyable and a success.

  He later joined my own band for several years working 5-6 nights a week and
he was a perfect sideman.  We always got along and no hassles.  BTW, he sings
the hell out of Baby won't you please come home."  And he would turn around
and play some beautiful flute on "feelings". or "Send in the Clowns."

 And I worked at times with his group.

 Kercher, you've got Charlie Hooks pegged just right.

 JIm Beebe

--part1_48.f778071.2a8005b0_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/4/02 9:25:15 PM Central Daylight Time, ekercher@tampabay.rr.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Good news and good advice, Steve. I believe that the thread about<BR>
entertainment being essential to large acceptance and appreciation by young<BR>
and old was brought up by C. Hooks. He got some negative answers to this<BR>
message, largely along the lines that humorous activity--physical, dress, or<BR>
whatever had nothing to do with the level of musicianship so had no place in<BR>
the "Grand plan to revive OKOM."<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I had the pleasure of working with Charlie in Michigan before he decided<BR>
to leave his teaching as a college professor for a (career?) as a jazz<BR>
clarinet player and singer. I lost track of Charlie for many years and have<BR>
no real knowledge of his level of success. I do know that every gig that I<BR>
played with him was blessed by a natural, infectious exubrience that gassed<BR>
up every gig.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My dad used to describe one of his favorite players--Barney Bigard as<BR>
looking and moving like a "French Banker." I know that I am much more like<BR>
Barney in that regard--no comparison musically--and I love it when I am<BR>
working with players like Charlie that light a fire with not only their<BR>
playing but with that kind of ability to entertain.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Keep up the good work, Steve.&nbsp; OKOM needs more people like the personnel<BR>
in your band and C. Hooks. Chuck Kerche</BLOCKQUOTE>r</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll say amen to Kerchers comments on Charlie Hooks.&nbsp; Charlie and I barnstormed around the country under the most trying conditions with the Celebration Road Show and Charles was always up, ready to play his butt off and enjoying doing it, whether it was a school show in the morning and church concert at night or a night club and a church service on sunday morning,&nbsp; Charlie definately helped make it enjoyable and a success.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; He later joined my own band for several years working 5-6 nights a week and he was a perfect sideman.&nbsp; We always got along and no hassles.&nbsp; BTW, he sings the hell out of Baby won't you please come home."&nbsp; And he would turn around and play some beautiful flute on "feelings". or "Send in the Clowns."<BR>
<BR>
 And I worked at times with his group.<BR>
<BR>
 Kercher, you've got Charlie Hooks pegged just right.<BR>
<BR>
 JIm Beebe</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_48.f778071.2a8005b0_boundary--