[Dixielandjazz] Re: Butter

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 22:25:25 -0500

on 8/4/02 8:41 PM, Will Connelly at willc@nova.edu wrote:

> Billy and Don Ewell were the heaviest drinking guys i've known in this
> business.

Never met Ewell.  But if he could keep up with Billy, then he has my
respect! I was Billy's roommate, yes; don't know about "pal."  Would like to
think so, but he was laying into it pretty heavily then, and I'm not really
sure WHAT he thought.  Or IF he thought.  My admiration for Billy was based
on how he could drink UP to it!  He could start out kinda dinged like the
rest of us, but then he could drink more, and then more, and THEN start to
PLAY!  Never knew anyone else who could do that.

We had some legends back in those days.  Incredibly lucky to have been even
loosely associated with them.

Charlie