[Dixielandjazz] Does "Dixieland" Matter Anymore?

Chuck Kercher ekercher@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:24:21 -0400

Good news and good advice, Steve. I believe that the thread about
entertainment being essential to large acceptance and appreciation by young
and old was brought up by C. Hooks. He got some negative answers to this
message, largely along the lines that humorous activity--physical, dress, or
whatever had nothing to do with the level of musicianship so had no place in
the "Grand plan to revive OKOM."
    I had the pleasure of working with Charlie in Michigan before he decided
to leave his teaching as a college professor for a (career?) as a jazz
clarinet player and singer. I lost track of Charlie for many years and have
no real knowledge of his level of success. I do know that every gig that I
played with him was blessed by a natural, infectious exubrience that gassed
up every gig.
     My dad used to describe one of his favorite players--Barney Bigard as
looking and moving like a "French Banker." I know that I am much more like
Barney in that regard--no comparison musically--and I love it when I am
working with players like Charlie that light a fire with not only their
playing but with that kind of ability to entertain.
    Keep up the good work, Steve.  OKOM needs more people like the personnel
in your band and C. Hooks. Chuck Kercher