[Dixielandjazz] Lee Castle

Jim Denham james@jiming.demon.co.uk
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 19:04:31 +0100

One of my favourite latter-day "dixieland" (hate that term!) sessions
has long been "Dixieland Heaven", by Lee Castle with Lou McGarity, Dick
Carey, Bob Haggart, George Wettling, Peanuts Hucko (1954) and Bob Wilbur
(1957). It's on the 'Joe Davis' label.

Does any listmate know anything about this session (or, to be precise,
sessions), and how Lee Castle came to lead a "dixieland" band? As I
understand it, he was a fine trumpet player who worked with the big
bands of Tommy Dorsey and Jack Teagarden. He also did one recording
session with Lester Young in the forties. He ended up fronting the
"Dorsey Brothers" ghost band. How did he come to record that one,
brilliant "dixieland"  record? And how come it's recorded in two
sessions, three years apart?
--
Jim Denham