[Dixielandjazz] This One's for You

SonsofRosy@aol.com SonsofRosy@aol.com
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:51:52 EDT

--part1_112.152dd608.2a7d39f8_boundary

For those of you who are at the Orange County Costa Mesa Classic Jazz
Festival this weekend, I just wanted to remind you that the Eleven Sons of
Rosy are performing three sets today, Saturday, at 3:45, 5:00, and 7:30.  The
first two sets are in the Catalina Room in the Hilton, and the third set is
in the Hilton lobby.

The first set will be devoted strictly to the new CD, and will feature Rosy's
unheard arrangements and almost all the musicians that are on the recording.
I say almost because, due to a scheduling error, the South Frisco Jazz Band
is playing a set at the same time as our set, and pianist Robbie Rhodes is a
member of both bands.  The leader of that organization has refused to switch
sets with another band, despite urgings from me and the festival directors.
My band members are coming from and going to other jobs, so we can't make any
other time slot.  So at this moment we are pianoless, but I am optimistic,
because every problem has a solution and everything works itself out in the
end.  I am dependent on and partial to Robbie not just because he was Rosy's
favorite pianist, but because he is the only one who knows the music that we
recorded.

The second two sets will feature guest artists who knew and played with Rosy
over the years, and we will be playing tunes selected from Rosy's vast
repertoire of songs.  On the third set, at 7:30, we hope to duplicate some of
the glory of the landmark 1996 set in the Doubletree Hotel lobby, where
hundreds of people crammed into that space, occupying every available spot,
to hear the veteran entertainer play and sing his favorite songs.  We had a
myriad of guest sit-ins that year, including Conrad Janis, Mike Silverman,
Craig Ventesco, Pete Devine, Marty Eggers, Ian Whitcomb, Cynthia Sayer, Bobby
Gordon, and many others.  Rosy lost track of time, as did the rest of us, and
we ended up playing several hours, but no one seemed to care because we were
all having such a grand old time.  So we'll start at 7:30 tonight, and go
until we can't go any more.

I am grateful to John Dieball and Connie Baker for helping to keep Rosy's
memory alive by inviting us to play the festival.  Floyd Levin has become my
current hero, because he has done more than anyone else to promote the man
and his music and thus perpetuate Rosy's legacy.  Rosy seemed to have a gift
for making every person feel as though they were his best friend, and as
though they knew him better than anyone else.  I felt that way, but in
talking to people, I found I was not alone.  He meant so much to so many of
us, and inspired so much love.  He altered the course of many lives.
Everyone wanted to be near him.  Today is our opportunity to give back the
love he gave to us.   From us, the band, to you, Rosy's hundreds of best
friends, this one's for you.

Dan Levinson

--part1_112.152dd608.2a7d39f8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">For those of you who are at the Orange County Costa Mesa Classic Jazz Festival this weekend, I just wanted to remind you that the Eleven Sons of Rosy are performing three sets today, Saturday, at 3:45, 5:00, and 7:30.&nbsp; The first two sets are in the Catalina Room in the Hilton, and the third set is in the Hilton lobby.<BR>
<BR>
The first set will be devoted strictly to the new CD, and will feature Rosy's unheard arrangements and almost all the musicians that are on the recording.&nbsp; I say almost because, due to a scheduling error, the South Frisco Jazz Band is playing a set at the same time as our set, and pianist Robbie Rhodes is a member of both bands.&nbsp; The leader of that organization has refused to switch sets with another band, despite urgings from me and the festival directors.&nbsp; My band members are coming from and going to other jobs, so we can't make any other time slot.&nbsp; So at this moment we are pianoless, but I am optimistic, because every problem has a solution and everything works itself out in the end.&nbsp; I am dependent on and partial to Robbie not just because he was Rosy's favorite pianist, but because he is the only one who knows the music that we recorded.<BR>
<BR>
The second two sets will feature guest artists who knew and played with Rosy over the years, and we will be playing tunes selected from Rosy's vast repertoire of songs.&nbsp; On the third set, at 7:30, we hope to duplicate some of the glory of the landmark 1996 set in the Doubletree Hotel lobby, where hundreds of people crammed into that space, occupying every available spot, to hear the veteran entertainer play and sing his favorite songs.&nbsp; We had a myriad of guest sit-ins that year, including Conrad Janis, Mike Silverman, Craig Ventesco, Pete Devine, Marty Eggers, Ian Whitcomb, Cynthia Sayer, Bobby Gordon, and many others.&nbsp; Rosy lost track of time, as did the rest of us, and we ended up playing several hours, but no one seemed to care because we were all having such a grand old time.&nbsp; So we'll start at 7:30 tonight, and go until we can't go any more.<BR>
<BR>
I am grateful to John Dieball and Connie Baker for helping to keep Rosy's memory alive by inviting us to play the festival.&nbsp; Floyd Levin has become my current hero, because he has done more than anyone else to promote the man and his music and thus perpetuate Rosy's legacy.&nbsp; Rosy seemed to have a gift for making every person feel as though they were his best friend, and as though they knew him better than anyone else.&nbsp; I felt that way, but in talking to people, I found I was not alone.&nbsp; He meant so much to so many of us, and inspired so much love.&nbsp; He altered the course of many lives.&nbsp; Everyone wanted to be near him.&nbsp; Today is our opportunity to give back the love he gave to us.&nbsp;&nbsp; From us, the band, to you, Rosy's hundreds of best friends, this one's for you.<BR>
<BR>
Dan Levinson</FONT></HTML>

--part1_112.152dd608.2a7d39f8_boundary--